Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

After watching the TED video on Filter Bubbles, I wasn't surprised.  I did really enjoy the illustrations though and the overall quality of the speech.

After re-doing my William Shakespeare search with Filter Bubbles in mind, (I used Dogpile instead) I got all the same results with a few new sources.  I got sources from Google that I got on Bing and on Yahoo.  It is as if all of the search engines use and collect the same signals I give off.  I never use Bing and Yahoo, yet I get from them what I get from Google.  Almost, like there is some big library all about me, that these engines go to to make the best tailored search.


I thought I could use different search engines but if they all make me the same tailored suit of information, how can avoid this Filter Bubble dilemma?

On my third search attempt, I changed my search terms; this time only typing, "Shakespeare."
And I received some different sources: First about fishing tackle.  Nothing to do with the playwright.  Second, about virtual monkeys compiling all of Shakespeare's work. And some different Ads.

I have noticed that all the sources I get have one thing in common: They give me Shakespeare's complete works.

Not coincidentally, on my first search attempted, I went only to sites with Shakespeare's complete works.  So, now, perhaps due to the bubbles, I am getting more sites like those I already looked at.

Trying to see the Filter Bubbles by myself is rather difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment