Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Notes on Hamlet

My thinking and view of Hamlet has changed a lot since the first scene of Act I.  I still view Hamlet as a young adult/ teenager of 18-25 or so that still is prone to deep emotion conflict and turbulence; more so than an adult of 30.  However emotional, Hamlet isn't immature about it, like most teenagers, as i thought he was.  He isn't out of control, indecisive, and volatile.  He isn't anything Cliff notes or Spark notes says he is.  He isn't anything that most people think he is.  He is very smart and emotional and uses the two to make a ruthless plan of revenge on Claudius.  He is emotionally driven and intellectually focussed making him very powerful.  Why else would Claudius fear him and desire to ship him off in a box?  Hamlet has turned out to be a dynamic character that I really enjoy.

Like one of my favorite artists, who from age 19 to 35 wrote about his sadness, isolation, anger, and love; turning his emotions into art.  This demonstrates control or at least channeling.  I find this very similar to Hamlet who channeled his grief and anger into a plan.

I am excited to see where the play goes from here.  What is to be of Hamlet now that Claudius has the upper hand due to Hamlet's murder of Polonius.  I am thrilled to see where Hamlet goes as a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment