Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Internet Giants - Blackboard Conference: Roy Christopher, Ted Newcomb, and Howard Rheingold Alumni

We started off with Ted Newcomb asking some questions for Roy Christopher after short introductions.  This led to the real, pioneering discussion.  So, here are the main points:


  1. Relating this period in history to Hip-Hop; this is a technological revolution.
  2. It is impossible to surpass the medium itself:
    1. Society cannot make something, like an app, on mobile technology that will become more important than the fact that Society has mobile technology.
  3. "Program or be Programmed"
    1. It isn't necessary to know how the technology works to use it, however, knowing how it does work, and knowing the best ways to use it, makes you a more mature user.
  4. Advent Horizons create challenges in intergenerational communication, however, these challenges provide opportunities to teach those of older generations how to use the new technology and essentially cross their Advent Horizons.
  5. We must find balance in our lives between digital and analog technologies.
  6. With technology changing so rapidly, people can pick and choose the technology they use.  
  7. The goal with using technology in education is to find the perfect blend of theory and academics with practical and technological use.

3 comments:

  1. The way you organized your notes makes them very easy to follow. It also invites the reader to ask more. As I reflect on the talk I wonder: which of Roy's ideas will you incorporate as you work online and offline? How will your "digital footprint" inspire older generations to respect and trust you more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it more and more necessary for myself to understand on a deeper level, the mechanics behind the internet, software, and hardware. Computers are like cars, and I don't really care for cars or mechanics in general, however, technology is progressing so fast that if I don't learn how all of this really works, someone like "You-know-who" will be able to just rob me of who knows what, or just be a jerk and e-mail me a virus or whatever he likes to do when he's bored. In other words, if I don't learn this, there will be someone who does, and I don't feel like being ruled by an internet tyrant.

    First off, this blog, to old people, is like magic, and the fact that I did it myself, to them, alone, is inspirational. However, the blog isn't the only thing I have done to make my "footprint" inspirational and trustworthy. I think that what we will be doing with Peace Club in the future via the internet will be inspirational, extremely. We're not just learning in the Club, we're improving lives. I don't think anyone foresaw technology doing such a thing.

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your notes as well..
    And I like your literature analysis' and everything too. But your text is way too long for a blog!

    ReplyDelete