Thursday, February 16, 2012

AP In Class Test Practice 1: Essay

     What I found easy this first time around was the relation between prompt and lecture.  It was very easy for me to recall upon what was said in lecture and how that contributed to Dickens' meaning and knowing this made that part of the prompt easy.

     What was difficult was organizing the essay.  The intro was fine and explaining how, for example, a character had a power struggle and how this helped create an overall meaning for the novel, was fine too.  But breaking this in to three paragraphs was hard.  I couldn't decide if the three paragraphs should have been three examples from the story or literary techniques.  The Time frame was difficult too of course.  But not being obligated to write full essays made that much easier and more relaxed.  The time and amount of prompts was definitely unexpected.  Writing a clear enough thesis was hard for these prompts.


     I learned that these AP prompts are much more broad stroked than those of the previous AP Course.  These are more literature based and I liked that.

     I stayed rather calm during this, so, I learned that under pressure I can manage myself.  What gets the anxiety going is writing a good intro, looking up and seeing that you have spent way to much time already and you have to kick it into overdrive; this clouds my mind and makes it harder.

     I think that this was great preparation for the exam and so, with its influence, I want to prepare more in this fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment